For Students who study IRIO, International and European Law, Human Geography and Urban and Regional Planning and Spatial Planning and Design at the University of Groningen there are ECTS arrangements. On this page you can find the requirements for successfully claiming 5 ECTS per study.
- IRIO & History
History and IRIO students at the University of Groningen may claim up to 5 ECTS for participation in the UN simulation game TEIMUN. This will involve carrying out an additional assignment. The purpose of this arrangement is to enhance the educational benefit of the simulation game. The supervisors responsible for TEIMUN are dr. C.M. Megens at the Department of History and dr. C.H. Horstmeier at the Department of IRIO. They will organize an information meeting approximately 6 weeks in advance of the TEIMUN week.
The requirements for successfully claiming 5 ECTS are:
Before the game:
- No later than 4 weeks before the game, the student applies in writing to one of the supervisors responsible for TEIMUN, dr. C.H. Horstmeier (email@example.com) and dr. C.M. Megens (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating his/her name, student number, email address and proposing a plan for an additional assignment, including a provisional list of literature;
- This plan may focus on one (or a combination) of the following:
- the diplomatic and political process that unfolded in the TEIMUN game, or
- one of the topics discussed during TEIMUN.
It will involve reading 300-400 pages of relevant literature, to be listed in a bibliography. The bibliography should comprise both scholarly literature, documents of the UN or another international organization and/or reports from think tanks or non governmental organisations. If you want to focus on the diplomatic and political process, your literature should mirror that focus;
- The supervisor needs to approve of this plan in advance of TEIMUN. This may require modifications by the student;
- The student studies the selected literature before the game in order to benefit from it during simulation;
During the game:
- The student will participate actively in the entire simulation exercise. We advise students to keep a journal with short observations and comments. These notes should focus on the diplomatic and political process during the game, and will be helpful to evaluate their own performance afterwards;
After the game:
- The student submits a paper of about 7 pages/3500w on the basis of the literature studied and the insights gained during the game. The paper contains at least one paragraph in which the student reflects on his/her own experience at TEIMUN.
Students that have successfully completed the arrangement described above obtain 5 ECTS for TEIMUN, as an optional module (elective) in the history or IRIO programme.
Plan: 10 June 2017
TEIMUN: 9 – 16 July 2017
Paper: 15 August 2017
- International and European Law
Students of International & European Law can earn 5 ECTS by participating at TEIMUN for the course ‘Recht in Praktijk’, for which an academic essay of 3000 words has to be written. For more information, you can contact the supervisor email@example.com
- Human Geography & Urban and Regional Planning
- Spatial Planning & Design
Human Geography & Urban and Regional Planning, and Spatial Planning & Design students of the University of Groningen may claim up to 5 ECTS for participation in TEIMUN as an optional module. This will involve carrying out an assignment. The requirements for successfully claiming 5 ECTS are:
- The student has collected 300 pages relevant literature before the game in order to benefit from it during simulation;
2. The student has participated actively in the entire simulation exercise;
3. After the conference the students has written a paper of about 5000 words on basis on the theme “Dare to Doubt: Developing New Perspectives”, the position of the country you are representing and the most visually striking member states.
4. The professor has approved this paper. The contact teacher will be dr. Van den Assem firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other studies
If you are studying in Groningen, but you can not find your study on this page, you can contact email@example.com. Then we will look for you if it is still possible to obtain an ECTS arrangement.